Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Working on the Claw

Some Ponies are really Cute.

Finally, some much needed rain in our neck of the woods came through on Friday morning - about 1.6 inches at the Rocking C in Inola.  Thank goodness that Patty has a magic arena - it was ridable on the west end by Friday evening.

Splash is getting to work on both Western and English skills these days.  On Friday night while the girls drilled, we schooled Western.  Then English for the Party lesson on Saturday and Western again on Sunday while the girls drilled.  He would rather eat grass.

The drill team is working on 4 different drills in preparation for the competition on Nov. 3rd.  They are really improving their skills.  Alaina is working Sister and, believe it or not, is getting a little submission to the bit along with the evil mare attitude.  Ivy hasn't been able to ride Pico since early August and was working with Ahab until last week when we discovered that Ahab and his family are moving to NM.  So, last weekend, Ivy gave Mario a try and they really looked good.  Meanwhile, Sister was lame at ride night Tuesday evening - so, bute and round pen rest for a few days and we will check her out on Friday when I am back from Wyoming.  Cross fingers and toes for a miraculous recovery. Ivy also rode Willy twice for Marilyn.

During the party lesson we concentrated on lateral work after our warm up.  We walked/trotted shoulder in and leg yields as well as practice turns on the forehand and pivots.  Splash is slowly improving  but is still very sticky when moving off right leg.  We finished our work with roll backs which really helped Splash with his canter transitions.  During our western practice Fri and Sun, we side passed and backed through logs with some improvements.  Sunday we did those rollback practices again.  Really fun if you don't fall off.

So, while working on trail obstacles with my neck reins in my left hand, my ride hand develops into a claw in mid-air.  What to do?  I think I should hold on to my pants.  I probably stick my tongue out to the side as well.

My YAYA sisters are socializing tomorrow evening without me - i will be thinking of them all while I am in Wyoming for work.  Very sad face.


Alaina/Sister, Ivy/Willy, Molly/Jeter, Roxy/Trooper

No comments:

Post a Comment